Skip to main content

Nugget & The Glaciers

This post makes me think of the Ice Age movies. I keep feeling like I should see Manny slowly walking along and Sid and Deigo fighting somewhere in these pictures. Then the little squirrel thing, I don't know his name, will try to hide his little acorn somewhere in the glacier, which will of course cause some avalanche almost killing everything in its path.
HUBBARD GLACIER, ALASKA
Hubbard Glacier is located in eastern Alaska and spreads for 122km and goes 1,200ft deep. The glacier is quickly advancing toward the Gulf of Alaska which results in breaking off the large chunks of ice at its edges. There's something terrifying about imagining being on a cruise ship, being surrounded by empty seas, while being confronted with a mass of ice, rumbling as pieces crash into the freezing waters below...but not terrifying enough to take it off my to-travel list.
PERITO MORENO GLACIER, ARGENTINA
The Perito Moreno Glacier  is located  in the Southwestern Province of Santa Cruz, Argentina. This mass spans 121 square miles and unlike most glaciers, it is still advancing despite rising temperatures.The average height of the glacier is 240 feet above the water. I can't imagine witnessing this spectacular view of blue hues from one of those platforms.

The Glacier grows towards Lake Argentina and creates a dam wall, however, the constant flow from the lake melts the wall and creates a bridge. I've read that seeing the ice arch collapse is both scary and phenomenal but happens once every 3 - 4 years, so I'll really need to time my visit carefully.
UNESCO World Heritage Site - Los Glaciares National Park
JOSTEDALSBREEN, NORWAY
Jostedalsbreen is the largest glacier in Europe and situated in Sogn og Fjordane Country of Norway. The glacier is maintained by the high snowfall rates in the region and has approximately 50 glacier arms. It spreads for 80km with a thickness of 500m. Taking the shape of the valley, Jostedalbreen looks like the scene of a movie which has been paused and any second, it will violently rush into the lake  below. There's just something it about being snugged between those mountains that makes it so beautiful.
SVINAFELLSJOKULL, ICELAND
The massive ice cap of Vatnajokull has many arms, Svinafellsjokull being one of them. Svinafellsjokull is a favourite location for the filming of many movies, my favourite being Batman Begins. To stand where batman stood as he was trained by Ra's Al Ghul, is more than enough reason to want to visit Svinafellsjokull. The beautiful frozen landscape was also used for popular HBO series, Game of Thrones, which by the way season 7 will be premiering in July...
HELHEIM, GREENLAND
The Helheim Glacier is one the Greenland's, largest glaciers of the Southeast. The Glacier was named after the Underworld in Norse Mythology; a sea of ice, named after the underworld, the irony. This glacier in particular has been rapidly retreating since 2001 where the speed increased from 8 to 11 kilometers per year. This accelerating retreat contributes to the rising sea levels and growing amount of fresh waters in oceans worldwide which alters ecosystems. Nevertheless, I'll opt for a helicopter tour for this one.
These structures are so majestic that its actual existence is unbelievable, especially since being from the Caribbean, the most amount of ice I've ever seen lies in my freezer. I'm ignoring the fact that I may freeze to death, being a little nugget, when I visit these locations, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. I'm off to watch the Ice Age Movies now. Comment below and share some of your favourite glaciers!


P.S. The little squirrel thing's name is Scrat and he's  a saber-tooth squirrel, yes, I googled Ice Age. 

Comments

  1. that Hubbard cruise not as fun as it seems. The day I went, it was so foggy so all you could see is fog and this massive ice island facing you. and it kept making these noises and pieces of it just crashing into the water and if u fall into the water, you know u gonna go unconscious instantly with that temp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .....I don't know if I want to go again.................................

      Delete
    2. hahaha well it might be diff for you. The perito moreno is gorgeous though, I don't know how I never heard about it!!! See how helpful your little blog is Nuggets? :)

      Delete
    3. that's one at the top of my list. I think I'll be satified with Perito and Hubbard. well maybe Hubbard now

      Delete
  2. I love glaciers and ice. I'd love to go camping there. Would probably pack some "nuggets" as snacks while i'm freezing my knees off...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol "you love ice. I have no idea how I'll survive there Mr/Mrs Unknown, I freeze in just ac

      Delete
  3. Scrat always crack me up! nice blog Nugget

    ReplyDelete
  4. GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you'll be fine, cavemen will survive it!

      Delete
  5. I'm hoping to go on the Alaskan cruise one day

    ReplyDelete
  6. all I could think of was ice age movie too lol
    Perito Morena looks the prettiest and I love that there's a comfortable viewing balcony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea, I appreciate that as well. that one has the highest possibility of me actually visiting

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. lol it would be....but Id like to go, just to see

      Delete

Post a Comment