Skip to main content

Nugget & The Caves

I never thought that I'd be interested in going into caves. I think batman scarred me growing up and made me think caves are just dark holes, infested with bats but I was so wrong. Here are some of the most amazing caves around the world, each carrying unique features.
ICE CAVE, KAMCHATKA
Does the pictures of this ice cave below remind anyone else of cotton candy or the passage to a fairytale world? Yes, I'm sure it does. This magical cave is located in Kamchatsky, Russia where the entire landscape is constantly changing due to active volcanoes and glaciers. The location is described as being alive and having a beating heartThis ice jewel was carved by a volcano-fed river which is sourced from a hot spring from the Mutnovsky volcano which flows through the glacier. Its cotton candy colours are a result of the refraction of sunlightt streaming through the ice walls.
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/349310514817692384/
BLUE CAVES, ZAKYNTHOS ISLAND
It is now a fact that I'll never stop falling in love with Greece. This tourist attraction is one of the most popular sites on the island. Blue Caves were formed by natural limestone being carved by the sea and its name was derived from the reflection of the blue, pristine water in the caves. These caves are most frequently accessed by boat and there are tours which can take you there. However, during my visit, I plan on visiting Navagio or Shipwreck beach which is a beautiful beach on the coast of Zakynthos. I'm more excited for the beach than the cave.
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/317855686186376155/
MARBLE CAVES, PATAGONIA
When I saw "The Marble Cathedral" as a top tourist attraction of Patagonia, Chile, I was about to add it to Nugget & The Cathedral. I really didn't expect to see a cave and I was not at all disappointed. This natural wonder is located in lake General Carrera and was crafted by the sea, showing just how beautiful the world can be. One of the greatest features of Marble Caves is it's dynamism. The colour and appearance of the caverns change with the water levels and seasons and always appear to lighting as it reflects the lake's dancing blue waters.
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/35677022023791930/
ALGAR DE BENAGIL, PORTUGAL
Algar de Benagil is considered one of the most amazing ocean caves in the world because of the remarkable rock formation design. The unique formation provides visitors with a beach to enjoy bathing in the emerald green water. This cave is also only accessible by boat or swimming, by a very experienced swimmer. Algar de Benagil is only one of many sea caves on Portugal and there are daily boat tours which take you to visit all.
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/123215739785529088/
WAITOMO GLOWWORM CAVE, NEW ZEALAND
Yes, worms can be beautiful...apparently. The glow comes from bioluminescent larvae which are unique to New Zealand. For this reason, it is a main tourist attraction for both local and overseas visitors and is one of New Zealand's top tourist destinations. The caves can be accessed via boat tours which takes you along the river where visitors can witness the glowworms lighting up the grotto above. As beautiful as this galaxy of tiny organisms are, I think I'd be paranoid of them falling on me somehow...I'd stick to being in awe at the pictures and videos, for now. 
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/481955597598558171/
I can't pick a favourite today, but let me know if you can. Is the Marble Cathedral really the most beautiful cave in the world? or would you venture into Glowworm cave? or do you keep falling in love with Greece as I do? or do you believe the ice cave can take you to a fairyland? Share all your thoughts in the comment section below and replies will be posted within 24 hours.

Comments

  1. I think Marble Cathedral is one of the most beautiful caves.
    and Glowworm looks so interesting
    and yes, your articles make me fall in love with Greece
    and of course the ice cave leads to a real fairyland...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the feedback :)
      so can you pick a favourite from the list Mr Anderson?

      Delete
    2. not really, all the ones you chose I love. Maybe the marble caves...
      Were you able to pick a favourite yet Nuggets?

      Delete
    3. lol well I love the colours of the ice cave the most and I'd love to take a boat to see the marble caves

      Delete
    4. and the ice caves do look like cotton candy.....................

      Delete
    5. I know!
      It's really pretty :)

      Delete
  2. Hello Mr Nuggets :)
    I really like this article. I didn't know there were so many different types of caves around the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mr Ramki, I'm glad you liked it!
      Any of them you'd like to visit?

      Delete
    2. yes, the one in portugal, mostly because of the beach.
      Glowworm so cool too

      Delete
    3. if you're interested in the glowworms, you'd love the sea of stars in maldives.
      I should do a blog post on it soon so stay subscribed!

      Delete
    4. I hear about the sea of stars, but I'd read more about it when you post

      Delete
    5. great! always enjoy your feedback :)

      Delete
    6. wow....what a hole!!!

      Delete
  3. oh wow!
    this blog never ceases to amaze me with all these amazing places!
    these caves are truly magnificent, the colours of the ice cave is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thanks Princess Charlottle, I really appreciate getting feedback.
      You can take my poll on the sidebar and give travel nugget a nice rating

      Delete
  4. The ice cave is very very pretty, that's my favourite one. Glowworms cave looks to spooky for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I don't think I'll be visiting glowworms, or if I do, I must get company in that boat ride

      Delete
  5. I want to get lost in these caves. *.*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Nugget..very interesting. I'm not really a fan of caves...but I do like the one in Portugal. I may not explore too far in but I like the outer beach area....looks dreamy and relaxing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite thing about it is that it'll be nice to enjoy a beach with no sun ;)

      Delete
  7. Typically... I wouldn't really want to visit caves, but the caves in this blog.. just made me change my mind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they're really unusual, I never thought I'd be interested in caves

      Delete
  8. Hi Nugget!! You've got an amazing blog I must say! Of all the places my little heart aches to go, a cave was not on the list, but after seeing your posts of the ice cave & marble cave, my mind have definitely changed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats a cute display pic u got there! I never thought caves would interest me either Devi, but after stumbling upon these, I must go

      Delete
  9. I thought all caves were scary looking too Travel Nugget, but these are really amazing. those glow worms look scary but beautiful though. really enjoyed this one *thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't this I want to visit those glow worms...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Other Travel Nugget Posts:

Nugget & The Mountains

As a child,  when you were taught to draw a mountain, it was always some form of an inverted triangle with a rounded top. Drawing a flat-top mountain or multiple pillars would definitely be considered incorrect in art class. However, these mountains prove otherwise. CAPPADOCIA, ANCIENT REGION OF ANATOLIA Cappadocia is a historical region which lies in the plateau of central Anatolia, Turkey. It's most amazing feature is the unique chimney fairy rocks which were formed by volcanic eruptions and erosion which shaped the pillars. Humans burrowed into these chimneys and made it their own, building underground cities which I’d like to venture into, just for curiosity's sake. Although I’m fascinated by these structures, I don’t want to see them from standing on the ground. I’ve never been hot air ballooning and the thought of floating in the air always seems scary, but with the amazing view of the Cappadocia landscape, I’ll be willing too.   UNESCO World Heritage Site  -