Skip to main content

Nugget & The Caves

I never thought that I'd be interested in going into caves. I think batman scarred me growing up and made me think caves are just dark holes, infested with bats but I was so wrong. Here are some of the most amazing caves around the world, each carrying unique features.
ICE CAVE, KAMCHATKA
Does the pictures of this ice cave below remind anyone else of cotton candy or the passage to a fairytale world? Yes, I'm sure it does. This magical cave is located in Kamchatsky, Russia where the entire landscape is constantly changing due to active volcanoes and glaciers. The location is described as being alive and having a beating heart. This ice jewel was carved by a volcano-fed river which is sourced from a hot spring from the Mutnovsky volcano which flows through the glacier. Its cotton candy colours are a result of the refraction of sunlightt streaming through the ice walls.
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/349310514817692384/
BLUE CAVES, ZAKYNTHOS ISLAND
It is now a fact that I'll never stop falling in love with Greece. This tourist attraction is one of the most popular sites on the island. Blue Caves were formed by natural limestone being carved by the sea and its name was derived from the reflection of the blue, pristine water in the caves. These caves are most frequently accessed by boat and there are tours which can take you there. However, during my visit, I plan on visiting Navagio or Shipwreck beach which is a beautiful beach on the coast of Zakynthos. I'm more excited for the beach than the cave.
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/317855686186376155/
MARBLE CAVES, PATAGONIA
When I saw "The Marble Cathedral" as a top tourist attraction of Patagonia, Chile, I was about to add it to Nugget & The Cathedral. I really didn't expect to see a cave and I was not at all disappointed. This natural wonder is located in lake General Carrera and was crafted by the sea, showing just how beautiful the world can be. One of the greatest features of Marble Caves is it's dynamism. The colour and appearance of the caverns change with the water levels and seasons and always appear to lighting as it reflects the lake's dancing blue waters.
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/35677022023791930/
ALGAR DE BENAGIL, PORTUGAL
Algar de Benagil is considered one of the most amazing ocean caves in the world because of the remarkable rock formation design. The unique formation provides visitors with a beach to enjoy bathing in the emerald green water. This cave is also only accessible by boat or swimming, by a very experienced swimmer. Algar de Benagil is only one of many sea caves on Portugal and there are daily boat tours which take you to visit all.
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/123215739785529088/
WAITOMO GLOWWORM CAVE, NEW ZEALAND
Yes, worms can be beautiful...apparently. The glow comes from bioluminescent larvae which are unique to New Zealand. For this reason, it is a main tourist attraction for both local and overseas visitors and is one of New Zealand's top tourist destinations. The caves can be accessed via boat tours which takes you along the river where visitors can witness the glowworms lighting up the grotto above. As beautiful as this galaxy of tiny organisms are, I think I'd be paranoid of them falling on me somehow...I'd stick to being in awe at the pictures and videos, for now. 
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/481955597598558171/
I can't pick a favourite today, but let me know if you can. Is the Marble Cathedral really the most beautiful cave in the world? or would you venture into Glowworm cave? or do you keep falling in love with Greece as I do? or do you believe the ice cave can take you to a fairyland? Share all your thoughts in the comment section below and replies will be posted within 24 hours.

Comments

  1. I think Marble Cathedral is one of the most beautiful caves.
    and Glowworm looks so interesting
    and yes, your articles make me fall in love with Greece
    and of course the ice cave leads to a real fairyland...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the feedback :)
      so can you pick a favourite from the list Mr Anderson?

      Delete
    2. not really, all the ones you chose I love. Maybe the marble caves...
      Were you able to pick a favourite yet Nuggets?

      Delete
    3. lol well I love the colours of the ice cave the most and I'd love to take a boat to see the marble caves

      Delete
    4. and the ice caves do look like cotton candy.....................

      Delete
    5. I know!
      It's really pretty :)

      Delete
  2. Hello Mr Nuggets :)
    I really like this article. I didn't know there were so many different types of caves around the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mr Ramki, I'm glad you liked it!
      Any of them you'd like to visit?

      Delete
    2. yes, the one in portugal, mostly because of the beach.
      Glowworm so cool too

      Delete
    3. if you're interested in the glowworms, you'd love the sea of stars in maldives.
      I should do a blog post on it soon so stay subscribed!

      Delete
    4. I hear about the sea of stars, but I'd read more about it when you post

      Delete
    5. great! always enjoy your feedback :)

      Delete
    6. wow....what a hole!!!

      Delete
  3. oh wow!
    this blog never ceases to amaze me with all these amazing places!
    these caves are truly magnificent, the colours of the ice cave is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thanks Princess Charlottle, I really appreciate getting feedback.
      You can take my poll on the sidebar and give travel nugget a nice rating

      Delete
  4. The ice cave is very very pretty, that's my favourite one. Glowworms cave looks to spooky for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I don't think I'll be visiting glowworms, or if I do, I must get company in that boat ride

      Delete
  5. I want to get lost in these caves. *.*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Nugget..very interesting. I'm not really a fan of caves...but I do like the one in Portugal. I may not explore too far in but I like the outer beach area....looks dreamy and relaxing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite thing about it is that it'll be nice to enjoy a beach with no sun ;)

      Delete
  7. Typically... I wouldn't really want to visit caves, but the caves in this blog.. just made me change my mind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they're really unusual, I never thought I'd be interested in caves

      Delete
  8. Hi Nugget!! You've got an amazing blog I must say! Of all the places my little heart aches to go, a cave was not on the list, but after seeing your posts of the ice cave & marble cave, my mind have definitely changed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats a cute display pic u got there! I never thought caves would interest me either Devi, but after stumbling upon these, I must go

      Delete
  9. I thought all caves were scary looking too Travel Nugget, but these are really amazing. those glow worms look scary but beautiful though. really enjoyed this one *thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't this I want to visit those glow worms...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Other Travel Nugget Posts:

Nugget & Europe

My top places to visit in Europe - Greece, France, Italy and Switzerland. SANTORINI Before I begin, please watch the video below. There's just something magical about it; the way it captures the beauty of Santorini that makes my words fail. If You're already not in love with Santorini, I guarantee that video will make you. I was hoping to find a video that captures my love for Santorini, and it does it so amazingly; the combination of the music with the scences are beyond perfection . This place has my heart and I've never even been there. Maybe it's Oia with it's cascading whitewashed buildings carved into the cliffs, the hues of sapphire water, the gleaming houses or the phenomenal , yet calming, scenry. It seems like a place your soul can go to rest and one day, I'll get there.   Photo credit: foundtheworld.com THE FRENCH RIVIERA Côte d'Azur , also know as The French Riviera; where do I want to go? First stop,  Le Vieux Nice ; a small town ...

Nugget & The Hot Springs

Geothermal hot springs can be found all over the world, but these are some which hold most of the Travel Nugget's interest.  Although some are lethal, the colours are surreal.  THE BLUE LAGOON This shade of blue is so pretty, I can't believe that it's the natural colour of this hot spring. Yes, blue is my favourite colour. The Blue Lagoon is Iceland's most popular feature and I just want to jump into it. Its spectacular shade of blue water comes from a composition of silica, algae and minerals which reflects in the sunlight. The blue lagoon drink was actually named after here. However, the water itself is actually milky white. The lagoon contains 9 million litres of water, renewing itself every 40 hours from beneath the floor. The deepest area in the spring is 1.6 meters with a temperature of 37 to 40 degrees Celsius; both perfect for Travel Nugget bathing. GRAND PRISMATIC SPRING, USA I've seen pictures of this spring before, but I didn't reali...

Nugget & Unorthodox Places

I may not exactly want to visit all these places, but their  uniqueness and weirdness deserves them a right to be blogged about by the Travel Nugget. They're definitely places to go to if you're seeking an adventure. GRUNER SEE, AUSTRIA Gruner See or "Green Lake" is a lake found in the village of Styria, Austria. The name originated from the beautiful emerald green colour of the water. However, the pretty colour isn't the main reason why I'm interested in this spot. During the winter, the lake is merely 3 to 7 feet deep and people enjoy the surrounding county park facilities. However, as Spring approaches and the temperature rises, the snow melts away and the water is collected in this emerald basin transforming it into a beautiful version of a snapshot from the 1995 movie, Waterworld. The water level rises to a maximum depth of 39 feet which swallows the park and many scuba divers explore this water-world. Venturing under these waters, the theme song ...

Nugget & The Blue Holes

Looking for an underwater adventure? Blue holes are usually found in shallow coastal areas and the darker the shade of blue, the deeper it goes. The Travel Nugget won't venture into these depths for 2 reasons. Firstly, diving in these places has a prerequisite of logging over 25 dives so an extreme amateur, like the Travel Nugget, can't. Secondly, the mystery of the creatures that lurk in dark, deep waters scare me. GREAT BLUE HOLE, BELIZE The Great Blue Hole of Belize is the most popular blue hole and I have no idea what its appearance reminds me of. It measures over 300 meters across and 124 meters deep. The blue hole rests in the middle of Lighthouse Reef where an island of corals encircles the shallow area, giving it a beautiful turquoise colour. Many visit by boat and aerial tours while the more adventurous opt for skydiving into the waters. I imagine myself screaming at the top of my voice until I touch the water if I ever attempt that one but maybe, just maybe, ...

Nugget & The Cathedrals

Cathedrals are wonders of architecture which stores exquisite treasures, hidden secrets and rich histories, each unique in its own right. DUOMO DI MILANO, MILAN "...an anthem sung in stone, a poem wrought in marble... They say that the Cathedral of Milan is second only to St. Peter's at Rome. I cannot understand how it can be second to anything made by human hands "    Twain, 1869.  I've never seen a structure more beautiful than the Duomo cathedral. This majestic beauty appears to be fit for royalty, for a King of the highest esteem. If I can't see any other cathedral on my list, I must see at least this one. One of my favourite feature is that visitors have access to the roof, where I'd willingly climb stairs just to enjoy that breathtaking view across Milan and examine the exquisite detail of the sculptures which crowns the structure. This artistic monument was officially started in 1386 and took thousand of workers over approximately 6 centuries of ...