Skip to main content

Nugget & The Cathedrals

Cathedrals are wonders of architecture which stores exquisite treasures, hidden secrets and rich histories, each unique in its own right.
DUOMO DI MILANO, MILAN
"...an anthem sung in stone, a poem wrought in marble...They say that the Cathedral of Milan is second only to St. Peter's at Rome. I cannot understand how it can be second to anything made by human hands"  Twain, 1869. I've never seen a structure more beautiful than the Duomo cathedral. This majestic beauty appears to be fit for royalty, for a King of the highest esteem. If I can't see any other cathedral on my list, I must see at least this one. One of my favourite feature is that visitors have access to the roof, where I'd willingly climb stairs just to enjoy that breathtaking view across Milan and examine the exquisite detail of the sculptures which crowns the structure.

This artistic monument was officially started in 1386 and took thousand of workers over approximately 6 centuries of labour. It is one of the largest Gothic cathedrals and the fifth largest church in the world. The building is said to have the more statutes than any other building in the world; 3,400 statutes, 135 gargoyles and 700 figures. Unbelievably, the magnificent Gothic structure is still not yet completed and I have no idea what more could be done to enhance the beauty of this church. I get chatty when I get excited so I should stop myself before I end up with an essay on this 1 cathedral.
ST. BASIL'S CATHEDRAL, MOSCOW
St. Basil's Cathedral looks like a cluster of brilliantly coloured hot air balloons or a fancy gingerbread house that's just to pretty to eat. The aesthetically pleasing cathedral was started in 1555 and no longer functions as a church, but a museum since 1923 St. Basil is actually 9 churches built on 1 foundation, interconnected through snaking tunnels. Little is known of its designers but the legend is that they were blinded  by Ivan The Terrible after completion of the structure to prevent them from ever building anything as beautiful elsewhere. Although there's no recorded proof of such, legends always intrigue me.
SAGRADA FAMILIA, BARCELONA
"Artists don't need monuments erected for them because their work are their monuments" Gaudi. Sagrada Familia or "Basilica and Expiatory Church of the Holy Family" (such  long name)  was actually consecrated as a minor basilica (distinct from a cathedral) by Pope Benedict XVI in 2010. How something can be so strong and mighty, yet delicate and graceful; it is only by the hands of a true and timeless artist. Antoni Gaudi, a talented architect, dedicated his life from 1883 until his premature passing to the construction of this masterpiece.

With such majesty, to date, the cathedral is only 65% completed. The current architects plan on adding towers to bring the total to 18 spires, each one packed with biblical symbolism. By 2026,  Sagrada Familia will have the tallest tower in all of Europe. In the night, the stone structure transforms into a sparkling beauty and where it seems like the tiara of a princess was placed on its roof. I can't wait to see what the completion of the final stage of the construction of this wonder will bring.
UNESCO World Heritage Site - Works of Antoni Gaudí
SISTINE CHAPEL, VATICAN CITY
"Without having seen the Sistine Chapel, one can form no appreciable idea of what one man is capable of achieving,"  Goethe, 1787. During the apogee of visual arts, High Renaissance, the Sistine Chapel ceiling was painted by Michelangelo between 1808 to 1812. Originally commissioned to merely paint the Twelve Apostles, Michelangelo proposed a more complex scheme of artwork which he did, in such a manner where words fail to describe it. A man with such artistic vision can only be inspired by Someone greater than himself. Pictures can never do it justice, I need to see it.
I've always been in love with the exceptional beauty of medieval architecture and the majesty of its cathedrals have made them my favourite. When the Travel Nugget visits these cathedrals, its beauty and majesty will want to keep me and I'll never want to leave, so I need to ensure the person I travel with is just as obsessed with it as I am... Comment below and share some of your favourite cathedrals around the world!

Comments

  1. I'm just as obsessed with these beauties as you are! *packing my luggage as i type*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pack me in there too!
      Nuggets are tiny!

      Delete
  2. I love the Russian cathedral! I didn't even know that existed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always saw pics of it, but I didn't realise it was a church. It's amazing

      Delete
    2. At first glance, I thought it was the Taj Mahal or something lol

      Delete
    3. I was actually thinking it reminds me of a Hindu temple u know.
      Any other cathedrals you'd like to visit Travel-addict?

      Delete
    4. Well the Notre Dame cathedral in France of course, St Peter's Basilica in Vatican City and the one on Florence and I'm adding that Russian one to my list

      Delete
    5. I'll have to check out the one in Florence, didn't really read much about it

      Delete
  3. Wow! I didn't know these places existed! Thanks for sharing Nugget ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome Ali! Thanks for your nice feedback :)
      I love your Netflix blog too @http://whatsaliwatching.blogspot.com

      Delete
  4. Seeing the pictures of the Sistine Chapel makes me want to be a painter. I am going to purchase my self some scaffolding, paint and some brushes!! Thank you for the inspiration! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to inspire :)
      send me pics of your work, maybe i'll feature it here!!!

      Delete
  5. Majestic. Artistic. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The architecture is phenomenal. Absolutely breathtaking. 10/10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in love with the design and architecture

      Delete
  7. Hi Mister Nuggets. have you ever visited the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Port of Spain Trinidad??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, no i haven't, but I'll keep that in mind :)

      Delete
  8. The cathedral in Milan is so majestic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. follow me on IG for more pics :) Travelnugget11

      Delete
  10. I'd love to experience worship in any one of these churches

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are some great top picks Travel Nugget! The design is indeed fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  12. they look a bit spooky. the russian one is pretty, like christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol the gothic designs can be a bit scary but I love them

      Delete

Post a Comment