Skip to main content

Nugget & The New Seven World Wonders

The year 2000 marked the beginning of the project New7Wonders, which concept was rather simple; to beckon the people of the world to vote for the new man-made seven wonders of the world. The campaign was  committed to deepening Global Memory legacy and to help document and conserve global heritage; similar to that of the UNESCO World Heritage Centre
TAJ MAHAL, INDIA
My love for architecture was first expressed in my earlier article titled "Nugget & The Cathedrals", but this structure is so unbelievably magnificent. The crown jewel of India, the world's most iconic tribute to love - the Taj Mahal. The exquisite marble mausoleum was commissioned by Shah Jahan, in 1631 in honour of his wife, Mumtaz Mahal, who died soon after the birth of her fourteenth child (14....children...). She was portrayed to be the perfect wife and companion and the King grieved for two years after her passing. Inspired by Mughal architecture, the Taj Mahal consists of white marble and semi-precious stones. It was fashioned by love and shaped to perfection.
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/353884483203233269/
GREAT WALL OF CHINA
The Great Wall of China; synonymous with architectural grandeur and historical significance. It is the world's longest defensive fortification and was started as early as 223 BC. Over the years, parts of the wall has been significantly deteriorating, but the Badaling Great Wall in Beijing has been the most preserved and and best completed portion of the Wall which has made it the most popular section and where I plan on visiting. 
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/AeZgbcjpVSavXcO4XvX-SLeS-M41bhMK1tB9PlVwMTB6vKXancGor_k/
COLOSSEUM, ROME
Rome's most popular tourist attraction is most certainly the Colosseum. The construction of the monument began 70 AD and  is the world's largest amphitheatre. It was used throughout its life to host gladiatorial contests, public spectacles and drama. The Colosseum of today has fallen into a somewhat ruinous state, but is still a beautiful and majestic site.  The Colosseum was mentioned as one of the sights I hope to see in my previous articles Nugget & Europe.
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/128000814379530242/
GREAT PYRAMID OF GIZA
My favourite thing about the Pyramid is the mystery which surrounds it. Thousand of years later and modern technology still, can neither replicate, nor explain this Wonder which is why it was named an Honorary candidate. Amazing facts that made me love it:
  • it was built on artificially flatten ground, off by 2cm from a perfectly horizontal plane 
  • the edges of the base almost makes a perfect square
  • the mortar is of unknown origin and cannot be duplicated
  • the four sides are perfectly oriented with the cardinal points and faces True North
  • The Pyramid of Menkaure, the Pyramid of Khafre and the Great Pyramid of Khufu (Great Pyramid) are precisely aligned with the Constellation of Orion
  • the edges are slightly concaved which duplicates the curvation of the earth
  • it is located at the centre of all landmass of earth
  • it was built to withstand heat expansion and earthquakes
  • the interior temperature is constant and equals the average temperature of the earth
  • it was the tallest structure for approximately 3,800 years
  • It is the only 7 Wonders of the Ancient World to exist today
The accuracy of the Pyramid's workmanship together with so many "coincidences" has baffled many experts. It is indeed a architectural, engineering and geographical marvel. After this research, I'm a bit upset that the decepticons destroyed it in the Transformers movie...maybe the aliens did build it after all ;)
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/425871708497254495/
PETRA, JORDAN
Within the deserts of Jordan lies the ancient city of Petra. It is described as an archaeological wonder where the city was build using rock-cut architecture and carved into cliffs by an indigenous Arab tribe. Unfortunately, much of the rose city was destroyed by an earthquake in 363. Nevertheless, amazing architecture and intricate carvings are still very much present and available for public viewing.
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/546202261029367474/
MACHU PICCHU, PERU
Machu Picchu is one of the most visited tourist attractions in Latin America and the most visited in Peru. This Inca Empire is nested 7,000 feet above sea level on a small hilltop between the Andean Mountain Range and above the Urabamba Valley below. This massive yet refined architecture of Machu Picchu blends exceptionally well with the stunning natural environment as its giant walls, terraces and ramps seem as if they have been cut naturally in the continuous rock escarpments. Visitors express that there is a magical feeling when you walk through this green paradise. What exactly is the magical experience? I'm not sure but one day I hope to find that our for myself.
Photo credit:https://www.pinterest.com/pin/357895501619854909/
CHRIST THE REDEEMER, BRAZIL
Christ The Redeemer has become know as the symbol of Brazil around the world. This masterpiece was designed by a French sculptor, Paul Landowski and construction took nine years, being completed in 1931. Due to its location, the statue requires periodic maintenance work for damages from extreme winds, erosion and even lightning strikes.

Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/419749627760304718/
CHICHΓ‰N ITZÁ, MEXICO
The ruins of Chichen Itza is the  most visited archaeological site in Mexico which is a manifestation of the architectural excellence of the Mayan civilisation. This site was a major economic power in the northern Mayan lowlands during its apogee. El Castillo or "the castle" dominates the centre of Chichen Itza. It served as a temple to the god Kukulkan, the Yucatec Maya Feathered Serpent deity.  During the the late afternoon sun strikes the corner of the pyramid creating the illusion of a feathered serpent "crawling" down the pyramid. Not something I'd like to see...
Photo credit:https://www.pinterest.com/pin/362680576215075088/
Of these seven New World Wonders, my favourites are the Taj Mahal for the jewel that it is and its beautiful story and the Great Pyramid of Giza for the great mystery and wonder which surrounds it.


Comments

  1. I had no idea the Great Pyramid had so many mysteries. Its really so strange that there's so many coincidences with it. I'm starting to believe that alien theory lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol the alien theory makes more sense to me right now too. Its amazing how ahead of their time the egyptians were

      Delete
  2. The story for the Taj Mahal is just lovely. Imagine I thought that was a Hindu's place of worship all my life. The design is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I thought the same thing about the Taj Mahal. I had no idea the story was so nice. I really couldn't feature the entire thing here

      Delete
  3. Wow! so many great facts on the great pyramid! I had no idea that structure was so complex :O
    so cool though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too! I started obsessing over the facts of the pyramid lol
      and there's even more stuff that, but I had to limit myself

      Delete
  4. You know this is where i come for where i come for where i want to go next, you keep making me change my mind! I want to go everywhere! But Egypt seems like it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and imagine that there's so many more amazing facts about the pyramid that I couldn't add into my blog

      Delete
  5. WOW great job on the details of each of the highlighted wonders of the world. It just goes to show how much knowledge there is to be learn around the world and how as individuals better our self to do great things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Maria :)
      there really is a lot of knowledge out there and sometimes we don't even realise

      Delete
  6. Interesting piece but how or why are there 8 wonders listed...but the name is 7 wonders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi :) nice question, it was actually the same concern I had when I started this piece.
      The 7, excluding the great pyramid, were the ones actually voted for, but people complained that the great pyramid should be included as it's the last of the 7 wonders of the ancient world that's still standing today, so the group made the pyramid an honourary candidate

      Delete
    2. oh, thats cool. I was kinda taken aback by the facts on the pyramid though, it's unbelievable but not sure if I want to visit

      Delete
  7. The architecture of the ancient world is truly breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really is! it's interesting how advanced we've gotten, but lazy at the same time compared to what the ancient world was capable of

      Delete
  8. Hello again Mr Nuggets,
    All I was thinking about when I saw the pyramids was transformers! but it cool though, didn't realise it had so much things to know about them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol planning a trip to visit any time soon?

      Delete
    2. I not too sure, I might. I'll tag u on your ig account if i do :p

      Delete
  9. I'd love to visit Rome. It is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Great Pyramid of Giza definitely holds the top spot to me in terms of the 7 World Wonders. How they really built it? no one knows for sure, but I like to sit and ponder those thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! maybe it was the aliens.... or gods of some kind ;)

      Delete
  11. This article is really interesting, I didn't even know there were new wonders of the world. I think I'll add all to my bucket list. I don't really have a favourite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only recently found out about them as well, I just love the history here

      Delete
  12. Anywhere in Peru would top my list!
    Interesting article though, I need to visit those cliffs in Jordan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment