Skip to main content

Nugget & The Surreal Lakes

When you think of a lake, you might just think of a still mass of water, possibly laden with crocodiles and other unfriendly creatures but these lakes are so phenomenal. They're amazing for bathing, sightseeing, diving, playing or just to go to for a moment to appreciate the beauty of this world that we sometimes too often take for granted.
DEAD SEA, ISRAEL
Who ever thought the something called the Dead Sea could be so breathtakingly beautiful. The Dead Sea is the lowest point on earth, but the most remarkable thing about it is that it is impossible to sink when floating because the salt density is so high, almost ten times saltier than the ocean. The water is also believed to have healing properties for skin issues. 
However, due to this hypersalination, no fish can survive in the water which removes the fear of creatures touching my toes while I'm in the water. Ironically, people have drowned in the Dead Sea because they disobey the one rule of floating there, only float on your back. So if you visit...please only float on your back.
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/419749627760347656/
SALAR DE UYUNI, BOLIVIA
Another salty wonder; Salar De Uynni, a prehistoric salt lake. However, there's something very special about Salar De Uyuni. It is not only the largest salt flat in the world, but during the summer, it transforms into the world's largest mirror and is described as the place where heaven touches earth (that phrase seems so lovely). Its seemingly endless horizon has made it one of the most popular locations for photographers to depict optical illusions, playing with perspective views. With my little height, I'd enjoy the play on perspectives and try to look like a giant...or normal human size...
 Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/218917231866174702/
JELLY FISH LAKE, PALAU
There's something so hypnotic about the video of Jellyfish Lake, I couldn't stop watching it, the footage is so surreal. This aquatic wonder is found on the Eil Malk island in Palau. Where did the jellies come from? - it is speculated that  these golden and moon jellies were trapped in the lake over 12,000 years ago and feeding on the algae with no predators, they have completed packed the lake.
My first thought was no, I'm not going in this lake, I will not enjoy having that Friends moment when Joey had to pee on Monica after the jellyfish stung her. How is it safe to swim with the jellies? - Well, the jellies do have stings powerful enough to harm humans and it is believed that their isolation has caused them to de-evolve their stinging cells.
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/528539706252724479/
FIVE FLOWER LAKE, JIUZHAIGOU VALLEY
Five Flower Lake is a beautiful multicoloured lake with some of the clearest water in the area, whose bed is decorated with ancient fallen tree trunks. Its water contains calcium carbonate and hydrophytes causing a multicoloured sight of azure blue, blackish green, light yellow and  turquoise, which gave the lake its name. This jewel is part of a protected nature reserve and local legend says that it is a Holy lake. The lake is caved by beautiful mountainous scenery which creates a beautiful contrast, making it popular location for photographers.
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/419749627760347624/
CANO CRISTALES, COLOMBIA
I know this post is supposed to be dedicated to lakes, but I just really need to stick in this river because it is unbelievably beautiful. It is described as "the most beautiful river in the world" and "the river that ran away from paradise". Photoshop couldn't even make something so beautiful. The Cano Cristales is indistinguishable from any other river in the world. This beauty can only be seen for a brief season when the water's height allows the right amount of sunlight to reach the aquatic plant, macarenia clavigera, making it explode with vibrant colour.
Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/419749627760347731/
So, which is my favourite? Jellyfish lake...I can't imagine myself actually jumping in, but that video made me really really want to. Maybe the more possible one would be Salar De Uynni, I'd love to take pictures there and the Dead Sea to float in. Comment below and say which one you'd love to visit most.

Comments

  1. Wow @ the jellyfish lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol i know! it's amazing. Planning on visiting?

      Delete
  2. Can I just say, your blog gets more interesting every time i visit.
    Lol @ Joey & Monica!! I won't go in the Jellyfish Lake but I'd LOVE to visit.
    One thing I truly appreciate is the fact that no fishes can survive in the Dead Sea, IM GOING!
    Finally somewhere i can bathe without the fear of a little fish eating all of me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. always love your feedback sammies :)
      and yea, that's my favourite thing about the Dead Sea too, bathing with no fear lol

      Delete
  3. My pick is the Dead Sea. My dream come true with no fish swimming around...and that buoyancy is amazing. Aside from which I also get to see beautiful blessed Israel..😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...visiting Israel alone would be more than enough reason to want to visit there. I should do an entire post dedicated to Israel :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Nuggets, nice article. i like the mirror lake in bolivia
    have your ever heard of the pitch lake in trinidad & tobago? u should add it to your list. it's the largest natural deposit of asphalt in the world and known as the 8th world wonder too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :O I'd definitely have to check it out Ramki. You always have nice suggestions too, thanks for the feedback :)

      Delete
    2. you are welcomed Mr Nuggets ;)

      Delete
  5. Five Flower Lakes and Cano Cristales are very beautiful but I'd love to visit the Dead Sea, maybe not to bathe in, but as a sightseeing spot in Israel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and it's one of the most popular tourist destinations in Israel too :)

      Delete
  6. Out of all the Lakes featured on this post, I'll definitely like to visit the Dead Sea, just the thought of it is very thrilling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. being impossible to sink and no creatures touching my toes is my favourite part of there

      Delete
  7. I cannot believe that colourful river actually exisits! It's like a painting or something. Nice article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they really do look like painting :) I didn't even think of that

      Delete
  8. Jellyfish lake looks awesome.
    I need to plan a trip there, I didn't even know something like that existed.
    So cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell in love with it when I saw that video !

      Delete
  9. Wow. The Mirror lake in Bolivia!!!! Can I?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's amazing!
      the amt of pics you'd take there...........lol

      Delete
  10. cano cristales is very remarkable. I heard of it, but I didn't realise it was this beautiful and colourful. I do hope i get there one day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there's been some restrictions about the visits as tourists were damaging the site, I believe you can only visit with tours now. I'm not 100% sure

      Delete
    2. I don't understand why people would harm such a beautiful wonder. but thanks for the info. love the videos!

      Delete
  11. That vid in jelly fish lake was magical lol
    I cant see myself swimming with jelly fishes those
    it so reminded me of finding nemo though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I need to be fully covered to swim with those jellies

      Delete

Post a Comment