Skip to main content

Nugget & The Natural Pools

There are so many amazing natural pools around the world, but these are just a few that caught my attention thus far. 
Fairy Pools, Skye
Fairy Pools is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Scotland and I can definitely see why. The blue pools are crystal clear and so beautiful.  As previously mentioned in Nugget & The Mountains, I'm not built for hiking. Thankfully for me, to get to the beautiful pools through the River Brittle takes an average 40 - 50 minutes walk which I can make. I'll just need some company; good company of course, not boring ones to make the trail feel like 5 hours. 

The Pools is the most photographed place in Scotland and considered its most magical destination. The pristine and unbelievably blue waters makes every thing visible. Now, the thing with the pools, they are deceptively inviting. The may have the colour and appeal of a tropical oasis, but the temperature ranges from cold, to extremely cold, to extremely freezing. Will the Travel Nugget jump in?...maybe...
Phot credit: isleofskye.com & The Carter Company
Nanda Blue Hole, Vanuatu
This Pool has the prettiest shade of blue ever, just look at it below. The Nanda Blue Hole, or Jacquie's Blue Hole, named after the landowner, features crystal blue waters and is surrounded by a green forested area. Now, my favourite part of this one is, there's a large wooden slide leading into the pool. I'll be using that over, and over and over again.

Little nugget of information - the water is an important source of fresh water to the village and its filtered naturally underground through limestone to become pure. The deeper and purer the water, the more blue it appears.
Photo credit: nandabluehole.com
To Sua Ocean Trench, Samoa
I love the location of this pool so much. The crystal clear waters are complemented so nicely by the green landscapes and sandy bedThe To Sua Ocean Trench was formed as volcanoes erupted on the island and the land caved in forming the deep hole. Its found in Lotofaga Village, on the main Southern coast of  the Samoan island, Upolu. This unique land formation is filled with 30 metres of turquoise water which is accessed by a ladder but maybe I'll just dive right in.
Photo credit: samoa.travel
Fervedouro Pool, Brazil
The location of Fervedouro is so unassuming. It's found in the middle of the Brazilian rainforest, in Jalapao State Park where its surrounded by dense vegetation. This blue oasis is is result of geothermal activity and the white sandy bed is fed by steam and the bubbles it creates below the sand are pushed with so much pressure that it makes it impossible for visitors to sink. 

Yes, it's more like a hot spring pool, somewhat like the Blue Lagoon, mentioned in Nugget & The Hot Springs; so of course, I need to visit here because I love hot water baths. I remember telling this to a friend once and his response was "women like taking showers in boiling water because it reminds them of hell...where they came from..." I thought it was funny lol. (He does great design by the way - go like @Aarez)
Photo credit: Helena Abreu
Ik Kil Cenote, Mexico
Firstly, I do not like those vines hanging into the pool at all. I  understand it's a "unique feature" and all that, but no, I do not like it. Travel Nugget and snakes are not friends and it reminds me of them. Quickly moving on, Ik Kil is located on the Northern Center of the Yucatan Peninsula and is the most popular cenote in Mexico. There's a nice circular staircase, carved from limestone, which you can use to descend into the pool area. The water level goes 200 feet deep, making it perfect for diving from its carved platforms. 
Photo credit: tuulavintage.com & savvysugar.com
My must-see is Nanda Blue Hole, because of the water slide of course. Who wouldn't love to slide into those crystal-blue waters? Comment below and share some of your favourite natural pools!

Comments

  1. All of these are really nice places :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. any more nice ones u know of, please share :)

      Delete
  2. Can't believe I haven't heard of these places, I'll have to add them to my list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're amazing, any favourites Travel-addict?

      Delete
    2. ALL! lol Mexico and the Nanda pool, that blue doesn't look real

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your blog! it takes me around the globe without having to purchase a plane ticket! thanks travel nugget

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ali! feel free to make suggestions of other places you love :)

      Delete
  5. these places are really lovely :)
    great article

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks lovely :) you should check out some of the ones on Pacific islands

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will definitely check them out Sanya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They all look so exotic, makes me wanna dive in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well blow me down, this needs to be added to my list! You always have such amazing stuff! Like waw! <3 thanks for keeping us uptodate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Aares! hit the subscribe button for updates!

      Delete
  10. Take me to Fairy Pools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a fairy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These places look like paradise 😍

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Fairy pools and Nanda Blue hole would be my favourite, it took me a while to choose cause they are all so gorgeous. I'd love to see someone jump in the Fairy pools to see how long they stay in when its cold, not freezing but cold. However, I'm sliding down that wooden slide as soon as i can and i think the only person getting me out of that pool is my mom and 'the look.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Nanda is my favourite because of the slide and i think your mom will be on that slide too!

      Delete
    2. Haha she definitely will be!

      Delete
  13. Nice article Mr Nuggets. You should check out some pools in the Caribb. There's one in Jamaica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really? i didn't know about one in jamaica. I'll definitely check it out

      Delete
  14. I'd love to visit that pool in Brazil. I never even knew of it til now. Your videos are always a nice attachment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the feedback, i wish i can get videos to go with all my posts, but it's not always easy to find

      Delete
  15. Fairy pools water looks just fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  16. that shade of blue in the nanda blue hole is the prettiest natural thing I've even seen!
    How is it so blue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there's a natural filter system where the limestone filters it and the darker the blue, the purer the water is

      Delete
    2. really interesting. making me want to go there more now lol

      Delete
  17. I'd love to dive into the Samoa trench!
    so cool

    ReplyDelete
  18. The hike to fairy pools look cool, I'd freeze and may not dive into it
    but it's beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love everything about there except the water temp. :/

      Delete

Post a Comment